Reading takes you to another world.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Opening Up To Someone.

Today as I read This Lullaby, what really stood out to me was trust. Trust and actually allowing someone to get to know you. In this story, Remy struggles with opening up with people. This is probably why she has such a hard time with love, and being in relationships. Yet, today Remy finally allowed someone to get close to her. Trust and love are connected in so many ways. In order to love someone, you have to know that you will be able to trust them. I think that Remy has finally realized that Dexter ( Remy's Admirer ) isn't going to be like her previous boyfriend; who have cheated on her and became to "clingy". I also wondered if the reason she now trusts Dexter is because he saved her (very much like a hero) from almost being arrested.
In chapter seven, Remy wakes up in a unfamiliar place. She was obviously drunk the previous night. Remy can hardly remember anything, and even worse, where she actually is. Shortly after all of her confusion, she hears Dexter's voice and it refreshes her memory ( Remy had been drunk, and hit a guy at the bar.) At first she tells herself that she will explain to Dexter that she is thankful for him saving her last night, that is until, she hears another voice. She decides that even confronting Dexter after what happened last night would be embarrassing but to have to say all of this in front of his friend too, would be to much. What she decides to do is to sneak out of the window. As I was reading this I was so upset with Remy, how could she do that ? I felt bad for Dexter, he is trying so hard to please her, and she doesn't even pretend to care. But then, just as I was getting over my angry towards Remy, Dexter shows up , AGAIN! (he won't give up!) And Remy, FINALLY, allows Dexter into her world.
As I thought harder about trust, I thought about not only how trust can ruin a romantic relationship, but also a friendship. Many friendships are ruined because of trust. So, what is trust ? What does it mean to "trust" someone ? If you tell someone a secret, does that mean, that you now trust them ? Or not ? After reading today, Remy has changed my perspective on trust. If you read This Lullaby, she will change yours too!

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this reading response, you did an awesome job explaining the theme in a good way. I feel all your Sarah Dessen book entries are really thought-provoking and deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really opened my eyes to the different ways trust could be interpreted. Is it always the easiest thing? How important is trust in a relationship and how is it intertwined with love?
    I agree with Ms. Robbins that you did a good job staying with one topic, and that made the post very strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think your a great writer and i loved this post!! you really kept me interested the whole timee! good job! <3

    ReplyDelete